Vegan (aka Pantry Ingredient!) Pound Cake - Cake Mix Variation
No eggs, no milk, no problem! This vegan alternative to our classic pound cake - using our Vanilla Pound Cake Mix - uses chickpea water (aka aquafaba) and oil for a delicious and decadent pound cake.
Vegan Pound Cake
Makes 1 Loaf Cake
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 mins to 1 hr 20 mins
3/4 cup aquafaba (liquid drained from canned chickpeas - save and use chickpeas for another use)
1 pkg Poppikit Vanilla or Chocolate Pound Cake Mix
3/4 cup neutral oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 sides.
- Place aquafaba in a large bowl, and use an electric or stand mixer to whisk until white and frothy, about 2 mins.
- Add cake mix and oil. Beat until the mixture is well-combined, about 2 mins.
- Evenly spread batter in prepared loaf pan. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. For vanilla: about 70 to 75 mins for an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-in. pan, or 55 to 60 mins for a 9 x 5-in. pan. For chocolate: 75 to 80 mins for an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-in. pan, or 60 to 65 mins for a 9 x 5-in. pan.
- Transfer loaf pan to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before using the parchment overhangs to remove the cake to the wire rack to cool completely.
We love to add things to our pound cakes! Why not try one of the following:
- 1 cup carob chips
- 1 cup roughly chopped nuts
- 1 cup dried fruit (such as raisins and cranberries)
- 2 teaspoons citrus zest (such as lemon and orange); then make a glaze with 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon citrus juice.