We love to serve this cake with jam and clotted cream, but it's truly delicious on its own. It can also be lightly toasted with butter and cinnamon sugar.
Classic Pound Cake
Makes 1 Loaf Cake
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 mins to 1 hr 20 mins
2 sticks/ 16 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp
1 pkg Poppikit Vanilla or Chocolate Pound Cake Mix
4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 sides.
- Place butter in a large bowl, and add cake mix and eggs. Using electric beaters, beat until the mixture is smooth, about 2 mins.
- Evenly spread batter in prepared loaf pan. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. For vanilla: about 1 hour and 15 mins for an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-in. pan, or 55 to 60 mins for a 9 x 5-in. pan. For chocolate: about 1 hour 20 mins for an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-in. pan, or 60 to 65 mins for a 9 x 5-in. pan.
- Transfer loaf pan to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before using the parchment overhangs to remove the cake to the wire rack to cool completely.
We love to add things to our pound cakes! Why not try one of the following:
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 cup roughly chopped nuts
- 1 cup dried fruit (such as raisins and cranberries)
- 2 teaspoons citrus zest (such as lemon and orange); then make a glaze with 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon citrus juice.
- Only have 3 eggs? Add 1/2 cup milk to replace the fourth egg - the cake won't rise as much but it will be super tender and moist.
- No butter? Use 3/4 cup olive oil or combination of canola oil and coconut oil