You've got your mini cake kit, now it's time to get baking! See below for more tips and videos to supplement the instructions that come with your cake kit.
1) First, take 2 sticks unsalted butter and 1/4 cup cream out of the fridge to come to room temperature by the time you need it later.
2) Mix and bake the cakes. Gather the instructions, cake mix, and cake pans. Then get:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup neutral oil, like canola or safflower
- 1/2 cup milk (or milk alternative like soy or almond)
3) While cakes bake, make the frosting. Get the frosting mix, plus your softened butter and cream. (If they're not softened yet, zap them in the microwave in 5 second bursts.)
4) Color the frosting with natural food coloring.
Store frosting covered at room temperature.
5) Frost your cakes.
6. Roll out fondant, cut with fondant cutters, and stick on cake. If your buttercream has dried before you stick on the fondant, dab a little (a little!) bit of water on the back of the fondant before sticking to the cake.