Laurie's Virtual Birthday Party!
Join us for a CAKE PARTY in celebration of Laurie's upcoming birthday!
Sunday, March 21
3pm CST/4pm EST
BYOC (bring your own cake)
The virtual festivities will be held via Zoom:
Meeting ID: 899 0185 0800
Let’s talk more about the cake…
The best birthdays are those filled with cake and we have every intention of taking full advantage of this opportunity. Whether you choose to purchase a delicious cake to bring (Laurie, we know you’ll be bringing something chocolate!) – or make your own cake – or both – we will be eating, drooling, indulging, and saying “YUMMM” together.
For some extra fun, a cake-making kit is headed your way, with supplies to make 4 mini (3”) cakes and decorate them (frosting mix and fondant will be included in the kit). If you choose to participate, bake and decorate your cake(s) prior to the zoom call and cake decorating “prizes” will be awarded: Most colorful cake; Most professional looking; Most meticulous and detailed; Best evokes the spirit of Laurie; Best represents a kitchen disaster; etc.
Creativity encouraged! The kit will have everything needed except for the following:
Additional perishable baking ingredients required for cakes:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
Additional ingredients required for frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Baking instructions and more info:
1) First, take 2 sticks unsalted butter and 1/4 cup cream out of the fridge to come to room temperature by the time you need it later.
2) Mix and bake the cakes. Gather the instructions, cake mix, and cake pans. Then get:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup neutral oil, like canola or safflower
- 1/2 cup milk (or milk alternative like soy or almond)
3) While cakes bake, make the frosting. Get the frosting mix, plus your softened butter and cream. (If they're not softened yet, zap them in the microwave in 5 second bursts.)
4) Color the frosting with natural food coloring.
Store frosting covered at room temperature.
5) Lastly, if you like, sketch up some mini cake designs. There are ideas on our Instagram page, and in the Inspiration Gallery here. Decorate your cakes with the frosting and fondant, and get ready to show off your creations!
Happy early birthday Laurie and LET US EAT CAKE!